Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ (1).jpg

Prospective students often have questions about our program, therefore we have compiled a list of the most frequently asked questions we receive. If you do not find your question below, feel free to contact us at 

What are the benefits of enrolling in the UNMA program at Rutgers?

The only program in the United States completely focused on the United Nations at an advanced level, students gain the skills of a liberal arts degree to better prepare them for work in international policy sectors and/or continuation of Ph.D. study.

Where are courses offered?

Courses are offered at Rutgers University-New Brunswick and at Marymount Manhattan College on the Upper East Side of New York City via a video-wall and/or online.

What are the requirements for obtaining a degree from the UNMA program?

In order to complete the UNMA program, students are required to enroll in three mandatory courses along with 27 credits of supplemental courses from a desired concentration. The mandatory courses are:

  • Theory and Methods in the Study of Global Affairs (3 credits)
  • Introduction to the United Nations: Theory, Institutions, Policy and Processes (3 Credits)
  • Capstone Seminar in United Nations & Global Policy Studies(3 Credits) *Only offered during the spring*

What are Curriculum Concentrations?

Offering specialized courses in a variety of global policy areas, our concentrations help students narrow down their interest areas and provide specialized information when applying for employment post-graduation.

What employment opportunities are available for students who receive a Masters degree from our program?

Students who receive a Masters degree from the UNMA at Rutgers have opportunities to work in a variety of policy areas, from NGO’s, international agencies like the United Nations and World Trade Organization, Non-profits, and Higher Education.

Possible career paths include:

  • Civil Service Agents
  • Foreign Service Officers
  • Diplomatic relations
  • Public Relations
  • Journalist
  • Humanitarian Relief Worker

Additionally, some students choose continuation of their studies in Ph.D. departments, law school admission and other professional tracks.

Are there employment opportunities for students on campus and within the UNMA program?

Currently the UNMA does not offer fellowships, Teaching Assistant or graduate assistant aid for students. However outside grants are available through the Graduate School-New Brunswick Financial Support page. Employment is available on campus with many of our students working as graders for undergraduate political science courses, phone interviewers at the Rutgers Eagleton Center for Public Interest Polling and within the student centers on campus.

For more information on student employee opportunities, visit the student employment office page for job listings.

Where do graduate students live on campus?

Graduate students who wish to live on campus have several apartment style options through the Rutgers Housing Office. Housing is available on Livingston and Cook Campus, along with special family housing for students with families. Apartments are available for nine month and twelve month leases. More information on housing available here.

Tuition and Fees for School of Graduate Studies: 

Information from year to year can be found on the  Rutgers New Brunswick, School of Graduate Studies (16) link here

Information specifically for perspective International Students:

Information on guidelines for International students can be found here

How can I stay connected with the Rutgers UNMA program?

Like us on Facebook  

Follow us on Twitter

Follow us on Linked In